Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Book Review: 1,001 Pearls of Yoga Wisdom

1,001 Pearls of Yoga Wisdom Take your practice beyond the mat  by Liz Lark

I'll admit it, it was the subtitle that got me on this one...Taking practice beyond the mat can be a big struggle!  Despite the conscious recognition that it can be nothing but beneficial, many a yogi struggles with limiting their practice to asana.

A while ago, I purchased a translation of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, and although I can't say I've studied it, I can say it made me aware that practicing on the mat is but one limb of yoga called Asana.  So many people think that this IS yoga, but it's only a small part!  Yoga is a way of life...apparently this stretching, lengthening, and strengthening is just preparing the body to be more receptive to these other "limbs" that are off the mat.
So, Ms. Lark's book here is a little 3 1/2" x 5" gem that gives 1,001 tips, hints, and, as the title suggests, "pearls", to help you in your daily yogic quest.  What sold me on the deal was the fact that some of these 1,001 ideas are quotes which I thought would be useful for my blogging purposes (longtime YATS readers will know that I like to end my posts with a quote or thought to meditate on)
Inside, the book is divided into 7 different foci:  Starting your day well, Throughout your working day, Time for yourself, Relating to others, In times of trouble, Winding down, and Ending your day well.  These all seem like times  when a bit of  wisdom could help!
In the introduction, there is a simple explanation of the 8-limbed path set forth by Patanjali (helpful, because most translations of the Yoga Sutras get a bit wordy and complicated!), an explanation of the major Chakras, and some brief enlightenment about the five Koshas (energetic layers of the body).  Peppered throughout the text are short sequences to help with some of the foci of the book.  To end the book, there is a glossary of key terms and an index so you can turn right to the aspect you're looking for.
All in all, 1,001 Pearls seems to be a useful little book.  The only problem I have is the size of the little tome.  It's over 380 pages long, and owing to it's small size and cardstock-like pages, it's quite hard to hold open to read.  Had the author used a regular-size page, and more environmentally-friendly paper, we might have a clear winner here.  I don't think it's too academic, but it's not completely dumbed-down, either.  It's a cute little buy.
1,001 Pearls of Yoga Wisdom was first published in the US in 2008, and I purchased it at Barnes and Noble for $10.  It was on the "buy 2, get one free" table, but I couldn't find 2 other books I wanted, so I just bought this one.

Today, I'd like to dedicate my post (and eventual home practice - I'm committing to getting around to it today!) to someone close to me who is facing trouble at work and feeling less resilient lately:

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall - Confucius

Gong Xi Fa Choi everyone!  Chinese New Year starts Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment