Friday, February 25, 2011

YATS "cooks"

TOTALLY unrelated to yoga, I recently read a dime-store novel (although it cost waaaay more than a dime!) called ‘Murder your Darlings” by J.J. Murphy. It features real NYC writers from the ‘20’s (Dorothy Parker, William Faulkner, Robert Benchley) enthralled in a fictitious event – a murder-mystery – set in a real place (the Algonquin Hotel – where we had High Tea when my mom was visiting last November). It put me in the mood to have a real honest-to-goodness drink. I’ve been on antibiotics for 10 days, nursing a strep-throat, but now that vacation is here and the course of meds is done, I can indulge a bit, pre-Prohibition-style!




The Can-Can Martini…in homage to the spirit of the super cheesy fiction and to celebrate the end of my meds, not to mention the fact that most of us don't have to be at work tomorrow morning.



2 shots Vodka or Gin (I tried both, and must say the Gin version is more palatable – On my way to draining Hubby’s supply of Tanqueray 10)

1 ½ shots St. Germain (elderflower liqueor. The bottle alone is worth it for it’s art-deco design - see pic above - Dorothy Parker would approve!)

¼ shot dry vermouth



Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with lemon or orange twist (I was lazy, and it was satisfactory without either). High-kicking, cartwheels and petticoats recommended, but purely optional. Hmmm….after a few, no yoga would be required to High-kick OR cartwheel.



I’m a damn good cook.

2 comments:

  1. that sounds yummy! maybe we can drink those instead of manhattans next time!

    ReplyDelete