Monday, February 21, 2011

DVD review: Stott Pure Vitality Yoga

Stott is better known for its Pilates Method...and this DVD is, as the cover claims, "pilates-infused" yoga.  It's also an  o-l-d-i-e (I think it's from 2002!).  My copy is actually VHS, and I was worried that it was out of distribution.  Luckily, you can purchase this on Amazon for $13.49! click here

I was all-set to get myself to a yoga class at the gym this morning, but a little snow got in the way of that!  I was relegated to a home practice - not an easy task with 2 boys hovering about, waiting for my down dog so they can run under the "tunnel" or swing from my legs.  Husband was so good as to enlist them as "helpers" for shovelling the front walk, and I was able to successfully complete this 43 minute practice with little to no disturbances (save one quick interruption to ask if they could play with their friend next door).
This is a very nice intermediate practice.  It begins with some gentle variations on sun salutations, which transition nicely into some twisted prayer postures.  P.J. O'Clair (the instructor) has an informed delivery; her instruction is not verbose and does not get in the way of your practice.  She offers much-appreciated modifications where she thinks things might get challenging, and reminds you to listen to your body - only take the poses as deep as your body allows.
And boy, is this welcome advice, because the second half of the program kicks it up a notch with some very challenging pigeon variations.  One Amazon reviewer asks "where's the pilates?", and it comes through in this sequence with the breath work.  Clearly, the reviewer isn't familiar with Stott's guiding principles of pilates: Focused breathwork with your movements.  Inhale to prepare, exhale on the effort.  O'Clair gives this guided instruction, and it really helps through the challenges of what she's asking you to do! The practice finishes with some shoulder openers and some gentle back postures, so you've stretched just about everything you could possibly stretch.
I haven't done this practice in a while, and I'm glad I rotated it in this morning!

The body is your temple.  Keep it pure and clean for the soul to reside in - B.K.S. Iyengar

No comments:

Post a Comment