Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Savasanaaaaaah!


Well, readers, Josh made us work for it today. By the end of class, I felt like we earned and deserved that Savasana (final resting pose, aka "Corpse pose" - nice name for a pose, isn't it? Lying dead on the floor...). You always appreciate Savasana at the end of practice, but sometimes it's just so much more "aaaaaahhhh...." than others. Today's practice was one of those times!


For starters, Josh put us through such an intense vinyasa today that I really worked up a true sweat. I mean, there were drips down the spine, people. Yeah, I know, TMI, and I shouldn't be surprised because it is a summer practice and it gets hot and all, but I sweat a little more than usual (by the way, just to clarify, that is NOT me in the picture today. I could see how you might be confused because I'm buff and all, but no. Not me). The real kicker, though, is that we had to do no fewer than 10 chair poses. Do you see the irony in this? Can you see how I would be more than a little annoyed by such a practice and therefore feel I earned my Savasana at the end?!?


I do have to say that my 10 rounds with Utkatasana didn't make me grimace too much today. On the other hand, in fact, I actually wanted to laugh out loud with a crazy mental image. Now, my blog isn't well advertised, and even when I do a Google search, it doesn't appear, and I've never mentioned my blog to any of my instructors (except one), so I doubt Josh is reading here. But after the 3rd Utkatasana or so, my mind began to wander, and I thought, "Is he doing this to spite me?"


I rationalized: How could he possibly know my feelings about this pose? Of course, during my mind wanderings, a hilarious visual popped to the front of my mind: Josh sitting at home, checking out my blog, reading my Pose of the Week, saying in his best Dr. Doofenshmirtz impression: "Soooooo... The girl with the yellow mat doesn't like Chair Pose... We'll just see about that....I'll show her a chair pose (or 10!)"


So yes, this mental image made my time in Utkatasana a little more humorous than usual. And then Josh redeemed himself by finishing the practice with one of my favorite poses of all time: Pigeon. After today's intense Vinyasa, Chair pose included, Pigeon was a nice way to find myself at the end of the practice.


Finally, Savasanaaaaah. After all that, you can't really hold it against him, can you? Plus, at the end of the day, I am really not supposed to be disliking any poses, but rather working through my difficulties with them. Don't worry, even after so many of them in my practice today, I still have a waaaaays to go.


Get your Savasanas where you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment