Tuesday, July 6, 2010

POW! (pose of the week)

This week's pose: Adho Mukha Svanasana - because the dog days of summer are here!

Down Dog pose is easily one of the most recognizable poses, and you'll likely do several throughout any practice, no matter who the instructor. First of all, it is very easy to maneuver into a variety of poses from Down Dog. It strengthens your arms, legs, and torso, stretches hamstrings, back, calves, and feet, and ironically improves digestion! I say ironically, because your torso is inverted, and logic would tell you the food moves down your tract, not up. Anyway, it's a pose full of benefits, and that must be why all instructors love it!

So, with a 99 degree day with a fair amount of humidity and no rain in sight, I don't see myself working up a sweat on the mat today. In fact, my practice today was isolated to a quiet 25 minute home practice on a mat at the foot of the bed in my air-conditioned bedroom this morning. I did a more lengthy Monday practice at the gym yesterday, and I have plans to do a session with one of my "faves" Josh tomorrow. If I'm lucky, and all goes as planned, I'll hit Josh again on Thursday afternoon!

I love summertime when I have more time to practice and really set goals for myself. This week, I would love to do some yoga everyday. For more accomplished yogis and most instructors, this is not such a big deal: daily practice is a necessity. But as a working mom with 2 small boys who LUUURVE to treat my home practice as a private jungle gym session (hey, let's climb on mommy's back while she's in downward facing dog! Let's get a horsey ride while she's trying to do cat/cow! Wait, she's doing the wheel...let's hang from her waist! Triangle? Let's see if we can knock her over...), practicing every day is a real luxury.

So, fingers crossed that my week of yoga works out. I have intention...now let's hope that the Dog Days of Summer let me enjoy some Down Dog a few dozen times this week!

Set goals of your own today. With intention, you can attain them!

No comments:

Post a Comment