Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ahimsa...


It's Sunday, and another satisfying practice with my gal Heidi! Boy did she challenge me today...and I don't know if it is because it was a true challenge, or because I wasn't quite up to many challenges today.


My three boys (hubbs included) and I spent a lovely weekend in the mountains with my bestie and HER three boys (hubbs included). We indulged a bit in yummy food and bevi, took a bit of a hike, and carrying my 3 year old much of the way did my old bones no favors. I woke up this morning quite a bit more stiff than usual, so I wasn't sure I could make it through yoga, but I soldiered on, and I'm glad I did!


We did LOTS of hip-opening poses, and many of them were new variations on old favorites. The class was not big today, but there were many "seasoned" yogis there. Several of us were struggling on some of the "advanced" variation options she gave us. At some point, she simply said "Ahimsa". My ears pricked up, because I have heard that phrase before, and I wanted to see if she would elaborate and jog my memory.


"Ahimsa" is the yogic philosophy of "do no harm" - to others OR to yourself. Isn't this a wonderful philosophy? It's basic logic to do no harm to others. This is something my husband and I reinforce even with our children. And of course, you shouldn't bring harm to yourself...that would be painful! So why, when we're exercising, do we feel the need to "feel the burn"? Where does that 80's cliche "No pain, no gain" come from? There's no need for pain or harm to your body when you're doing something that's supposed to be as beneficial as exercise!


It's common sense that a yogic philosophy such as Ahimsa should be very important when praciticing yoga...but it doesn't hurt (ha! punny!) to be reminded from time to time. Yoga is not something that's "all at once". You're not going to take your first class and be able to master every single pose. Some of the poses look downright painful...but if the yogi is following Ahimsa, then you know the pose is not painful to them. They have spent hours over the course of years slowly perfecting the pose, training their muscles to give into the pose. A little respect is in order! They put their time in, and with the same amount of patience and "non pain" you, too, someday, will find yourself there!
So, next time you find yourself in a challenging situation (it could be in yoga class, or it could be in Target when you'd like to strangle your uncooperative children), remember:
Ahimsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment