Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sleepless in a Straddle (on the Mat)? Not me!

Whew, what a Thursday! Lots of running around as I gave my last Chapter test of the year to my students. (The only assessment they have left is their Final Exam next Wednesday). My 5 year old turns 6 tomorrow, so I had last minute errands to run during lunch for that. Finally, it's nearly 10 o'clock at night, and I haven't yet iced his birthday cake! One of the things that helped me to be an efficient little worker today and power through all that needed to be done was the fact that I knew I had a yoga class to look forward to. One hour of uninterrupted time with me and my wandering little mind.

It was a lovely, challenging practice, courtesy of Josh. With my crafty planning (and kid bribing), I was able to get to the studio a few seconds earlier than last week, so I actually had my pick of where to squeeze my mat. We went through a nice, purposeful warm-up, and then on to some heartrate-raising planks, side planks, and standing poses (go Josh!). He even maneuvered us into some twisted prayer poses, which I hadn't done in ages, and I forgot how much I enjoy them. Before I knew it, we were cooling down with some gentle reclining twists, and then it was Savasana.

We couldn't have been in Savasana any longer than 3 to 4 minutes, but in those 3 to 4 minutes, I fell a s l e e p. Not once, not twice, but THREE times!!! My mind was drifting and wandering, and I was really sinking into my mat, oblivious to what was going on around me. The first time I was drifting to sleep, Josh was guiding the meditation, and I realized he had said 2 or 3 sentences that I just plain hadn't heard! I brought my attention back to what he was sharing, and soon my wandering mind drifted away again. I was brought to attention by someone who coughed, and it startled me out of my dreamy state. I told myself, "Okay, you won't be here but a minute more...try and stay in the moment..." and I drifted right back to la la land. I was roused by Josh telling us to roll to the side and slowly sit up to end the practice.

With the crazy running around I did today, and the busy weekend ahead, it's no surprise that I was tired, but SO tired that I fell asleep on the mat? That's a first. Well, I guess that means it's time for a little conversation with my body. Do I need to be this busy all the time? Am I only this busy because one "season" in my life is drawing to a close? How do I find balance so this sort of transition doesn't take it's toll?

Balance, Conversations, Transitions. Sounds like lots to pursue as we ease into summer... For now, I think I'd best get myself to a real rest - on my pillow, though!

I'll try and post over the weekend, but if not, I'll be back on Tuesday with my Pose of the Week! Till then,

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment