Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Filling the Space...

Last Saturday, in my Yoga Foundations class, we paid tribute to yogacharya BKS Iyengar, who passed away on August 20th. Iyengar was a leader in the world of yoga, mainly responsible for bringing yoga "to the west".  He credited the practice with helping him to overcome Malaria, Tuberculosis, and Typhoid fever as a child.  Since he lived to the age of 95, I'd say he was on to something!

We followed the beginner's sequence outlined in Iyengar's book, "Light on Yoga":  Tadasana, Vrksasana, Trikonasana, Parsvakonasana, Virahabdrasana I, Virahabdrasana II, Parsvottanasana, Sarvangasana, and Halasana.  Iyengar suggests holding each pose for 3 to 5 minutes.  My class is only a 60 minute class, so we held the poses for 3 to 5 BREATHS.

 Breathing is important.  With each of these postures, we create SPACE throughout our practice.  You stretch, and open up something, be it your side body (in bends), your back body (in forward folds), or your front body (in back bends).  Perhaps you are opening up your hips or shoulders, creating space in your joints, allowing the synovial fluid to bathe and lubricate your articulating cartilage.  No matter WHERE you create the space, it is important to FILL the space.

I reminded my students to fill the space with their BREATH.  If you don't fill the space, nature abhors a vacuum, and something will rush in.  Doubt (Can my body do what I am asking it to do?).  Fear (I might fall over if I try this pose!).  Resentment (Why on Earth does my teacher think I am this flexible?).  Insecurity (Am I getting to old to be doing this?).  These feelings can ruin your yoga practice.  They will block your progress in your practice, so it's best to not let them even enter in.  Don't give them the opportunity.  This is why the breath is so important.  Fill that space with your breath, and there won't be room for anything else, and you can just BE.

What will you fill your space with?

No comments:

Post a Comment