Saturday, April 4, 2015

Transitions

In yoga, the term "transitions" usually refers to how you get from one pose to the next.  As a yoga teacher, you want this process to be smooth and controlled; you want to be able to instruct your students to move fluidly from one pose to another.   This requires their attention, focus, and strength...as they move forward in their yoga practice, it becomes easier because of gained flexibility, and that pointed concentration is what enables students to find in their yoga practice solace from everyday frustrations and stress.

When you think about it, however, life itself is full of transitions, and those same mindfulness techniques of your yoga practice can hopefully help you move from one point to the next with a minimum of frustrations and/or stress.  

This week, the yoga studio where I have been teaching for almost two years will be shuttering it's storefront.  In fact, this morning, I taught my final class in that space.  It was a great class to teach - a full-house, if you will - with students of all ages and experience.  Some folks were part of my "regular corp": faithful attendees to the 8am Saturday class, some folks were using up their class cards, and others were just dropping in.  We worked on building some heat with Sun Salutations, then we transitioned into some standing poses, setting the foundation for each, and then incorporated that into a smooth mini-flow.  Students took what they learned and experienced from each pose and made a smooth transition from one to the next.  Judging from the smiles and relaxed looks after Savasana, I think it was all pretty good.

Now, as I move forward, I am unsure of what is next, and I am okay with that.  Perhaps the opportunity will present itself for me to continue what I do in a new space.  Perhaps my role as a yoga teacher will transition into that of a student for a little while.  Whatever the path, I hope to be guided by strength, focus, and flexibility!

Stay tuned, and know that the light within me salutes the light within you.  We are all fibres of the same fabric, and our strength and resiliency reinforces one another's ability to transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment