Monday, August 18, 2014

Being Fat.

The September 2014 cover of Health Magazine
Does that cover say what I think it says?  You can BURN FAT doing YOGA?  God, I hope so.

On the East Coast, it's been an amazing summer, weather-wise.  Not too many days that required Air Conditioning; we've had very restful nights sleeping with the windows open - in August!  When it rains, it seemed to only do so for half a day, and it was usually the half of the day when I needed to be indoors, anyway.  For the end of August, our lawn is remarkably green (mostly crabgrass, but green, nonetheless!).

Socially, it has also been an incredible summer.  Several friends celebrated mile-stone birthdays, and we celebrated right along with them...food, desserts, fabulous drinks - hey, it's summertime!  But with every upside, there must also be a downside.  To every yin, a yang.  With all that celebrating comes the dreaded bulge, which is harder and harder to get rid of the farther and farther over that hill I get.

I had some dental surgery this weekend.  I was suffering for over a week with tooth pain, and several dentist visits with X-rays revealed nothing, so I was referred to an Endodontist, whose X-ray also revealed nothing.  However, she performed "official" tests (testing the temperature sensitivity and pressure sensitivity of my tooth) which revealed that I probably needed a Root Canal.  Oh joy.  Regardless, the pain of the previous week, and subsequent pain-killers have been zapping my energy and affecting the quality of my workouts.  I've been eating like crap, drinking too much, and a sluggish lump of human flesh lately, so it should be NO surprise that I step on the scale revealed my heaviest weight of the summer!  YIKES!

Time to get more disciplined, time to cut out the never-ending party, time to get back on the wagon of healthful, mindful living.  And I'm glad that Yoga is there to help.  The meditative qualities can help keep me focused on my goal of being healthier.  The physical practice can help realign my muscles and prepare them for more strenuous events like the elliptical machine and playing around with my children.  For now, i'm going to read this issue of Health Magazine, find out who Erin Andrews is and how she got that bod, and read about how Yoga is going to help me be the best I can be this summer.  I've got two weeks left!

3 comments:

  1. what did you find out? one more week, enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing we didn't already know. :/ (The "article" was about 1/3 of a page, and talked about building heat internally by holding poses for a long time).

    ReplyDelete