Thursday, February 23, 2012

Yoga Fashion *February Edition*

So, this mild winter is putting me in the mood for some Spring wardrobe "sprucing up".  Thing is, I'm not all that impressed by the overpriced offerings at JCrew and Banana Republic, and I was alive the last time the offerings at the Gap (cute and brightly pastel though they are) were stylish, and I remember some fashion magazine advising that if you were wearing a trend the last time it was around, you're "too old" to wear it again.  (Ugh.  We really are getting old, Liz!).  Truth is, I'm more in the mood to update my yoga wardrobe!  It's time to replace my C9 black spandex from Target (it's creeping me out that they are tracking what I'm buying anyway.  What will they make of my recent purchase of spray starch, goldfish, waffles, gum, and a paperback? I wanted to buy some tampons and duct tape just to throw them off...)  Enter Athleta.
 I've been receiving the Athleta catalog in the mail for a while, but nothing has really impressed me.  It doesn't help that the models in the catalog have Olympian bodies that are nothing like mine, let alone the average American women that I know.  I have far more in the "boob" department and far less in the "deltoid", "abs", and "quad" departments.  I have no idea how anything is going to look on me.  Yes, they are now partnered with the Gap, and I'm a GapSilver member so I get free shipping and free returns, but that's such a pain in the neck.  Luckily, an Athleta retail store opened within comfortable driving distance.  I've been curious to check it out, and the time off this February break gave me just the opportunity!
The store itself is set up by departments according to your "sport":  yoga and pilates to the right, running and hiking to the left. Jewelry and scarves are near the checkout.  Rustic wood pillars hold up the store and the counters/displays have zinc metal accents.  It's fairly easy to navigate and the sales staff were quite helpful, though slightly annoyed by my boys who were running all over and hiding in the racks. (have I ever mentioned what a nightmare it is to shop with them?  They insist on re-enacting every Ninjago and Pokemon episode they've seen whenever I'm in public.  If you go, pawn off the kids on your husband so you can fully appreciate the store).  The store also hosts special events like free intro-level pilates and yoga classes (Lululemon stores also offer this, but Athleta is a lot closer to me than Lululemon).  So, with kids in tow, my visit was truncated, but I didn't walk away empty-handed.
The Tranquility tank retails for $49.

So, item number one:  The Tranquility tank, which earned 4 out of 5 stars on the website with 30 ratings.  It comes in Hibiscus, Tart Apple, White, Pacific, and Asphalt.  It has plenty of coverage (at the v-neck AND in length).  I already test drove this top in my yoga class yesterday and it performed well.






The Ruffle Stripe Wrap retails for $89.
Item number two: The Ruffle Stripe Wrap, which comes in Regal Purple stripe and Shale Stripe.  It hasn't been rated yet, and based on the picture, I don't think I would have purchased it.  Good thing I was able to see it in person at the store and give it a go.  It is light-weight cotton (what JCrew might call "tissue" fabric), and the wrap buttons together at the neckline almost like a double-breast.  The ruffle cascades nicely and it's very comfortable.  It is not a piece that I would actually practice in, but it's perfect for wearing to the studio and out on your errands after class.  It dresses up the tank nicely, and even though you may be wearing yoga pants, you look a little more put-together, like you didn't just walk out of the gym (even though, if you came from Josh's class, you might be a little sweaty!) ;)

The Hera Low Cut socks retail for $10.


Item three, and BY FAR my favorite thing: The Hera Low Cut Sock by Asics.  These socks score 5 out of 5 stars, and once they were on my feet, it's easy to see why.  They are the first socks I've ever seen with "right" and "left" foot socks (which could be a pain once laundry day rolls around), but they just hug my foot so perfectly.  They are SO comfortable and well worth the $10 pricetag.  These socks come in blue, pink, teal, watermelon, and aloe, but since you're usually wearing shoes and the sock is so low-cut, no one will notice if your socks match your outfit.


So far, I'm pleased with my purchase, and yes, it is pricey.  I saw some yoga pants that I liked, but at $80+, they were out of my price range.  The good news is that Athleta accepts the GapCard.  I had a $30 gift card AND a $10 Gap rewards certificate, which significantly lowered my out-of-pocket for this purchase.  And it was still pricey, but the good news is that I'm halfway to my next $10 Gap rewards certificate!  I know which socks I'll be returning to purchase...

2 comments:

  1. so did you get the tank in black and the wrap in black/white stripe? i thought you were going for COLOR!?!
    I haven't ever ordered from Athleta either, but maybe I will give thema try now...
    Also, I detest shopping with my "helpers" too. it just takes all of the joy out of it for me!
    old, shmold. that's why they make hair dye and wrinkle cream, right?
    miss you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, black tank and black/white stripe wrap. Totally defeats my quest for color ;)
    The photos in the catalog can't compare to seeing it "in person". Both things I got would be very flattering on you!!
    Speaking of wrinkle cream, I bought a new eye cream today at Whole Foods (Derma-e brand). Next time we practice together you can check my lines and see if it works!

    ReplyDelete