Sunday, February 12, 2012

Have mat, will travel...

When you have something that you're passionate about, it's so much fun to experience it in a different place.  This holds true with a *someone special* (few things are better than experiencing a new destination with a lover or fabulous friend), a *vibe* (some people feel like they don't know a place unless they've visited "the underbelly" - case in point:  Bourdain's No Reservations!), or even an *activity* (yes, I'm talking about YOGA!)
I have a new friend Joanne, who is passionate about running.  She is so passionate about it, that she probably identifies herself as "a runner" above all else.  Her passion for this activity takes her to some amazing destinations, all for the sake of experiencing an amazing run in a new and interesting place.  She'll travel to Vegas, to Florida, just about anywhere, to take in the sights but above all, squeeze in a good run.  I thought this was way-cool...and thought about how lucky Joanne is that she has this thing that she is passionate about, and she can do just about anywhere.  Then I thought about it a little more, and realized that I do, too!
About a month ago, I got an email from my bestie since the 90's, Liz, saying that she was tagging along on her DH's conference which was going to be in Boston.  She wanted me to help her kill the time while her hubbs was in his workshops.  Boston's a 4 hour drive away, but that's a heck of a lot closer than Texas which is where Liz spends the majority of her 365 days a year.  I talked it over with MY DH, who travels frequently to Boston (we're talking about once a week), and we were able to work it out so that I would be able to fly up, stay in a suitably pampering hotel, and help Liz kill some time.  I booked the flight, booked the hotel, and started to think up things to do.  First stop:  yoga. 
I found a studio within walking distance of my hotel - this was NOT hard.  Yoga is so popular in Cambridge that you can throw a rock straight up and have it land steps away from a yoga class.  I emailed Liz an itinerary that included not one, not two, but three separate yoga classes!  DH travels to Boston and his research entails swank bars and delicious curry joints.  I travel to Boston and I research yoga classes.  Everyone has their passion.  Liz had her reservations about taking yoga - she hadn't taken a studio class in a long time - but she figured "what the heck".
On the morning of my trip, I got up, left the house by 7:30, hopped on the plane by 9 and was at Logan Airport by 10:30.  Took the T to my hotel, checked in by 11:30, and was at the studio a tad bit early for the noon class.  In case you are wondering, I wore my stealth-yoga outfit on the plane, so no changing was necessary.  I was comfortable, and sans-pockets, breezed right through airport security (bonus!). For Your Fashion Information:  Lucy black yoga pants and a Lucy black wrap top with a hood (sorry, can't find a link!).  I feel like a ninja when I wear this outfit (all black with a wrap top) and it can go from studio to street without a second thought.
It was incredible.  The studio, KarmaYoga, was gorgeous.  With a lobby full of zen furnishings and a small library of various books and pamphlets, I felt relaxed before I even set foot in the studio.  There was a tea bar and a few healthy snacks and goodies available for purchase. The class (Liz and I borrowed mats) was challenging, it felt good, and I was so happy about being able to experience a new teacher's style.  Even though I had never practiced with this yogi before, I knew the postures as she called them out, I liked her focus on setting our intention and gently reminding us of this intention throughout the practice. It dawned on me that this really is a passion that I can take with me everywhere. 
The best part, however, was meeting Liz in Boston and sharing another experience with her on the mat.   I have to say that, thanks to a few too many cocktails in a swanky bar (kudos to DH for the recommendation - his research did come in handy afterall!) and a rich dinner in the North End, the other two yoga classes fell by the wayside.  No worries - I still feel fortunate that I was inspired by a new friend to experience my passion in a different place with an old friend.  New, different, old, Yoga is a unifying experience. 

2 comments:

  1. thought i had posted already on this.
    i enjoyed the entire time with you! SO glad you pushed me out of my comfort zone to rediscover my love of yoga.
    wish i could go to a class with you every week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so grateful that you were willing to practice with me. I'm so honored that I inspire you (because YOU inspire ME a lot of the time!) Here's an idea, we can do "virtual" yoga together - pick a time and segment on the DVD and we can chat about it later. Sound like fun?? Maybe more people would like to join...

    ReplyDelete