Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yoga Props










Yoga props are tools that assist you in your practice. Props usually are designed to help with proper alignment, and many can help to ease you into challenging poses - you know, those postures which you haven't quite nailed yet...if only your arms were 2 inches longer (Hello, marichyasana!) I also think props can be used to help motivate you in your practice - Who wouldn't feel better about doing yoga if you knew using a strap would help you conquer that challenging pose?!? Sometimes, though, even the silliest things can help to motivate you - a candle, music, a scent, an accessory - and I would consider these props, as well.






Hanging out in my little yoga "nook" of our Family room, I have a variety of props that help with my practice. I thought it would be fun to share them with you:



- My mat. My #1 yoga prop. I've mentioned before that I have a bright yellow mat. I love my yellow mat - sure, it's a color associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra, and is supposed to assist with the positive use of power and help one to achieve goals, but that's not why I chose it! Now that I analyze the Chakras, perhaps yellow is the right color for me to have (personality traits: Good-humored, optimistic, confident, practical, and intellectual), but I chose my mat because it is the right thickness for me and it has 5 subtle white, perpendicular stripes on it. These stripes are positioned at the perfect distance for me, and they help me with alignment during my practice! Lines 1 and 5? The perfect distance for wide stances like Down dog. Lines 2 and 4? Good for medium-leg stances like Triangle and Warrior. Lines 2 and 3 are good for hip-width stances. My mat is old, though, and it's wearing out, and I am having a very hard time finding a replacement. They just don't make 'em like they used to!






- Blocks. I do have a few foam blocks. They are purple, and they have bite marks in them from when my boys were younger and teething. I like the little bite marks because they help me to know which blocks are mine in a crowded studio, but they are also a reminder of growth - my practice has grown (I don't use my blocks often anymore - except to support my torso during a 5 minute Chaturanga with Diann!!! ), and my children certainly continue to grow!






- Strap. Another prop that I keep stashed in my mat bag, but rarely use. I should definitely use it more often, because I'm sure it would help me in that elusive Marichyasana! I used to need it to help grasp my hands behind my back, but as my practice has grown, I've needed the strap less and less. You can get straps and blocks here --> www.gaiam.com






On to less obvious props:






- Badger Balm. I saw this little tin at the Cracker Barrel restaurant near my parents' house, of all places. In fact, they had bins filled with various kinds of Badger Balm...for just about any ailment you could think of. I'll admit it: this wasn't the only balm I bought that day...but it IS the only one I stash in my yoga bag. I think this is a fun little prop. The balm has a waxy texture that is beeswax-based, and it has a lovely little meditative scent. The Badger Balm company website says that it's "an ancient blend to calm, center & balance your inner badger." Now I don't know if there's a badger living inside of me, but when I dab a little of this on the inside of my wrists before practice, it's a nice little scent to look forward to when I'm in downward dog. It's not overpowering, and as you warm up during your practice, so does the balm, releasing it's subtle fragrance that shouldn't bother the yogi on the next mat (too much). http://www.badgerbalm.com/








- Candles. Burning candles just sort of "go" with yoga. The unpredictable flicker of the flame can calm you and also remind you that even nature is unstable, so if you lose balance or your limbs are "unpredictable" in a posture, so is your candle, and you can come right back into posture. The candles I've pictured here are wonderful little handpoured gems. Made by a small company in Texas, they are soy-based and burn for-ev-er (ie, the slightly higher price is definitely warranted). The scents are all delightful, but my favorite for yoga practice is Vanilla Chai. http://www.simplyhenry.com/





Props are great for studio or home practice (it's a little hard to bring your own candles into the studio...). I have a variety of other props, but for now, I think I'll save them for another post. In the meantime, I'm curious to know about the interesting props you use! Feel free to comment and share. You never know if your prop could be an inspiration for a fellow yogi!


You will feel fulfillment when you do the impossible for someone else.

2 comments:

  1. My mat is orange. What does that say about my chakras? Thanks for the link. Awesome candles!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange is the Sacral Chakra. Personality Traits: Enthusiastic, happy, sociable, energetic, sporty, self-assured, and constructive. Hmmm. Sounds about right ;)

    ReplyDelete