Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome to 2013!

Hangover, anyone?
So, is it a good idea to attend a class called "Hangover Yoga" with an actual hangover?  I can't tell you if it is a good idea, but I can certainly tell you what it's like!  I mean, I didn't intend to have a hangover - in fact, I kept telling everyone last night that I really couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't have another drink because I was doing yoga in the morning, but the class wasn't actually until 11 (late morning), then suddenly the ball dropped, and a few (like 4!) corks popped, and you can't save a bottle of champagne like you can save a bottle of red or white.  Can you?

Alex is a well-regarded teacher at my studio, and today was my first class with him.  As I entered the studio, he greeted a familiar face, inquiring after her New Year's celebration and asked jovially if she had a hangover.  She said, "No...", but I threw it out there that I sure did!  He just smiled and said "Oh, really?", but got caught up in another conversation.  I unrolled my mat, and Alex started to clue into the fact that it would be a packed class, so he asked us to move our mats closer, "like only leave a foot or so between the mats".  He also made sure to walk around before class and introduce himself to the students whom he didn't know, myself included (this is a good practice for a yoga teacher to establish if there is time before class - you can check in with your students and find out their experience level, if there are injuries or limitations, etc).  We shook hands, and Alex asked me if I really did have a hangover, to which I replied, "Yes, I really do.  We haven't met before, and I wish we were meeting under better circumstances!"  He smiled, and advised that I would feel it in down dog and any inversions, and I countered that if I fell over, he would understand why!

I was right up front.  Seriously, right in front of the guy.  With every exhale, I was paranoid that I was spewing forth champagne-laced hangover breath right into his face.  Space was tight, and with every sun breath, I was smacking the gal next to me if I didn't watch my arms.  But I didn't fall, and with every breath, I was able to inhale more and more fresh air.  When I felt dizzy, I closed my eyes and took deep, cleansing breaths - I surely needed them!  Towards the end of the peak poses, he coaxed us into a half-moon, and I was so proud of myself that I was able to hoist myself up there without falling over.

I made it through the practice, and really did my best to bring my A-game.  I was attentive to alignment, attentive to breath, took variations when I needed them, and when he offered headstand at the end of practice, I wisely chose to do legs up the wall.  I didn't make any new year's resolutions last night, but if I'm attending yoga classes with a hangover, perhaps I should have.  I survived, but I think my experience would have been even better and my time on the mat a little more focused if were not so worried about my stinking exhales.  What does matter is the fact that I practiced today with gratitude and did my best to practice with grace, and I will continue both of these practices well into the future.  Without a hangover.

I liked what Alex said to us when we were in Warrior 2 with the left foot forward:  "Your right hand is in the past, your left hand is the future.  Gaze into the future, have the courage to be here in the present."

No comments:

Post a Comment