Monday, August 6, 2012

A little something different...

To say that I've been doing a lot of yoga this summer is a bit of an understatement.  Last Summer, I tried doing a "week of yoga" - where I would practice for 7 days in a row.  I wanted to see how I felt, to see if my body began to be transformed, to see if I became more committed (or worse, addicted!).  At the end of the week, I had managed to take 5 days of gym yoga classes and 2 days of home practice with DVDs, and while I was proud of myself, I didn't experience any magical transformations.  Maybe a little more sore in my shoulders, but I didn't suddenly have flat abs and amazing shoulders.  That sort of thing takes years of dedicated practice...not a solid week.  I can report that I felt more relaxed and centered, and realized how important yoga is to me...so perhaps I renewed my commitment to the mat, and yes, started an addiction.

This summer, in light of the fact that I am starting Yoga Teacher Training in a few short weeks, I set a new goal for myself:  To try as many different classes as possible this summer.  There are my faves - the gym standbys - and I make time for them every week (as long as I'm not in Paris!) because I simply can't make their classes when I'm working.  I have no idea if Josh and Heidy feel a bit happier when I show up with my mat, but I certainly am happy and grateful to be able to be there!  I'm also branching out and trying new teachers, new studios, and new classes!  I've done Iyengar, Hatha, Restorative, Vinyasa, and now "Family Yoga"!

A new studio opened in my town, and while it is technically a "Wellness Center" - offering a variety of "mindful" experiences (Meditation, Kirtan, Nutritional counselling, eco-crafts, etc) - yoga is the main focus.  There's teen yoga, yoga camp for kids, mixed level, restorative, vinyasa, and FAMILY YOGA!  I convinced my husband to join me and the boys for this fun, 45-minute practice.  It certainly was something different!

The main focus of Family Yoga was to introduce smaller people and their grownups to the practice and benefits of yoga.   The obvious benefits are easily understood by the grownups, but kids may be too "literal" to understand abstract benefits like improved focus, better balance, a more "centered" and "present" mind, so this was introduced to them through a series of fun postures and games on the mat.  There was no "organized" flow - instead, the practice was very organic.  The instructor (who happens to be a co-owner of the studio) skillfully led us through a few postures and when it was time to be silly, she let it happen.  When it was time to re-center, she made fun games to bring us back to attention.  This was great for my 5 year old, who can be a bit spontaneous and is not always the best listener.  My 8 year old had practiced before, and happily followed along.  My main concern was Husband, who sees me doing yoga videos in the living room, and was a bit unsure of how he was going to balance in Half-moon or Warrior 3.  He's not exactly the "patient" type, either, and that's a big part of a yoga practice.  Naturally, I was worried he might not like it.

After the class was over, I realized that my worries were for nil.  I'm not saying that Husband is going to jump right in and start yoga teacher training with me, but I can say that a good time was had by all!  It felt wonderful to support a new small business in town, but it felt amazing to share my love of yoga with my family.  The time spent together, parent and child, on the mat was precious. Helping one another into postures and interacting together in a gentle, physical way was time well-spent!  With time and regular practice, I can envision my spontaneous 5 year old building better listening skills.  Perhaps my 8 year old will become more confident.  Maybe, just maybe, I can see Husband becoming more patient.  What is for sure is the bond we build as we spend focused, family-centered time together will only become stronger!


No comments:

Post a Comment