Saturday, October 30, 2010

Soundtrack

I feel like such a lucky girl this week! I was able to take 2 yoga classes this week! Josh on Thursday, and Diann this morning. I always feel so happy after a yoga class, and this week, especially, I feel so grateful when I'm able to practice with some old favorites!

I still maintain a practice is so much more fulfilling for me when I'm able to breathe deeply, separate myself from the outside world, get in a class, and just focus on the instructions given by the class leader. One of the things that really helps me lose myself in a practice is the music... I'm listening, but not really listening. Unless, of course, the pose is difficult and just focusing on my breathing isn't enough to help me "let go". I can listen to the music and it helps to keep my mind from thinking I can't hold a posture for one.second.longer.

Every instructor has their own preferences; some go for the obvious, sitar-laden "yoga class" jam band tunes ala Krishna Das, others are a little more avante garde and choose Yogi MC. I've heard Josh use some Supreme Beings of Leisure, Diann has been known to mix it up with some Madonna or LedZeppelin now and then, and Heidi even went with John Mayer last Sunday!

Music is a fairly big part of my life - Hubbs is really into tunes, and keeps me current by loading my iPod with new music, and is very good about getting me CDs when my favorite artists have a new release. In fact, I take him for granted about this and don't thank him nearly enough for hooking me up with good music. If not for him, my only exposure to fresh music would be my Pandora app!

Anyway, when I hear new music I tend to categorize it according to its purpose: Would this tune be good for working out? Would this tune be good for driving? Sometimes it's surprising to hear a song that I envisioned as music for one purpose being used for something else, such as background music in a commercial (I'm talking about you, Train: "Hey, Soul Sister" - which is currently hawking everything). Back before we had kids, we would make the odd mix-tape here and there (now I suppose we'd be relegated to "Playlists"), so I've never really lost the habit of picking out good tunes for a mix. I often find myself hearing a song and thinking "This tune would be awesome/interesting/a fun twist/relaxing in yoga class!"

So what songs would I put on my ultimate yoga practice Soundtrack? Well, that's quite a question to answer! Frankly, it's reason #562 "why I could never be a yoga instructor": I don't know what I'd put on my class soundtrack! I think the class would have to be hours and hours long just to accommodate all the music that I think would be "great" in a yoga class. Some of the music I hear would be a pleasant "surprise" to hear in a yoga class (Hello Macy Gray: "Beauty in the World"...and I'll admit I quite liked the John Mayer last week. It wasn't terrible...). Some music is classic, while other music isn't so traditional, but as you hear it, you think, "I could get into this..." (Hubbs recently introduced me to Bittersweet, and I would be up for that in a yoga class).

Interestingly enough, today the sound system wasn't working, so my yoga soundtrack was nothing but Diann's voice...and that worked out just fine, too.

What music is on your Yoga Playlist?

1 comment: