Monday, October 4, 2010

POW! Pose of the Week



POW! This week's pose: Utthita Parsvakonasana - because we're still opening those hips!

Extended Side-Angle pose is yet another pose you can easily transition into from Warrior 2. As simple as this pose looks, there are lots and lots of subtle variations that make this a pose that I am still working on (and may be working on for some time!) Yes, ALL asanas are postures to "work on", but this, similar to my much-reviled chair pose, is a posture that I have not gotten perfect. I haven't nailed it yet, not even for a second. I have several postures that I really like my progression with, and this is not one of them.

Like all postures, it has its benefits: Building focus and willpower, it opens the hips, strengthens the ankles, calves, knees, and thighs, lengthens the spine and (here's a new one) increases lung capacity! Interesting, because as you see from the picture above (shamelessly plagerized from some website), the open ribs seem like they could just iniflate and puff right out with your breath - which is what I do. But, my teacher always comes around and adjusts me so that I'm straight as a board on my open side, at which point, I don't dare inflate to break the line from ankle to wrist, but then I lose balance, or start to straighten the front leg, or lift the forward arm, or shift the top arm, and Oh-gosh-darn-it, we've moved on to another posture, and another week passes and let's just say this won't be one of those poses I'll be nailing on the Standup Paddleboard...

So, coming into this posture is quite easy from Warrior 2 (see 2 weeks ago, "POW" for reference). Let's start with the Right leg forward, left leg back, slightly angled out, arms raised shoulder-height. Instead of facing forward (as in Warrior 2), keep the head and shoulders in line with the hips, opening outward. Bend your forward knee 90 degrees, and anchor the outside edge of your left foot onto the mat. Reach downward with your right fingertips so that your wrist is in line with your ankle, shoulder alongside your knee. Extend your left arm up and over your left ear, and look up towards the sky, as if peeking out from under your bicep. If you are like the model in the photo, your entire left side will be a straight angle from your left ankle to your left wrist. Good luck with that.

Create balance and honor your spirit...

No comments:

Post a Comment