Thursday, September 9, 2010

Surf Yoga Soul - DVD review


♥ Well, dear readers, my shipment of yoga DVDs came this afternoon, and without delay, I ripped right into them and hopped on the mat for a test drive. This DVD, Surf Yoga Soul is subtitled "the ultimate flow yoga practice", and it's lead by Shiva Rea, yogini extraordinaire. {It seems to be produced for (or even by) Acacia, unlike all of my other yoga DVDs, which are from Gaiam.}
I purchased this DVD to support my hubby's dream of me doing yoga on his SUP. After trying this practice, I can say with all honesty that I am not hopping on that Paddleboard any time soon. My first impression is that this DVD is awesome, and it is definitely NOT for beginners. My previous experience with Shiva Rea's offerings on DVD was her Pregnancy Yoga DVD by Gaiam. That practice wasn't the best, but the offerings for Pregnancy Yoga are slim pickings, so I found myself practicing with Shiva a few times a month throughout each of my pregnancies. Surf Yoga Soul, on the other hand, has gorgeous scenery, a hip soundtrack, and a very cool "matrix" format, which means I can customize my workout! It has 7 different segments of varying length, and the viewer is able to pick and choose the segments, organizing them however suits, and voila! the practice is set.
To start, I chose a 17 minute segment that worked the arms/shoulders, an 11 minute segment to stretch, and finished with a 2 minutes Savasana. The first segment was so challenging, the second segment stretched it out, and the third segment finished beautifully. I was so pleased with the flow I put together for myself, that I went back and tried the 20 minute "balancing" segment. I can tell I am going to get a lot out of experimenting with the different segments in different orders, which is so motivating!
Bottom line: This DVD is going to be a staple in my rotation! Highly recommended for people with a firm knowledge of and experience in advanced level poses (crow, Warrior 3, Pigeon, and King Dancer, to name a few).
More to come... ♥
Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment