Friday, April 12, 2013

CD Review: Putumayo World Yoga

There are lots of things we fledgling yoga teachers talk about:  What to do if you're attracted to a student, Whose level one class is good, Whose level two class is killer, when can we find time for a study group for all that Sanskrit, whether or not we can handle Restorative yoga, and whether or not we like Iyengar (I happen to like it; more on that in another post).  One of the most pressing conversations, however, is finding good music to put on your "Yoga Teacher Playlist".
Yes, as a Yoga Teacher, you will need a playlist.  I have taken class with very few teachers who do NOT use music while teaching (and by "few", I mean Jill - who teaches Iyengar - is pretty much the only one who doesn't use music).  I think music is important for setting a proper mood for your class.  It all boils down to preference.  Some of the teachers I practice with use upbeat music, throwing in some contemporary tunes once in a while.  Others are bold enough to go full on pop (Diann frequently used Madonna - and she could get away with it!)  One of my colleagues in my cohort uses Bobby Ferrin and Maroon 5!  I love to sing along when I know the words, and I would probably get distracted with my instruction upon hearing familiar lyrics, so I knew that wouldn't work for me.  I enjoy it when my teachers use popular music, but when I'm doing the teaching, I need something that I'm not going to sing along to.
Enter Putumayo's World Yoga!  I found this CD while shopping at Whole Foods.  They have a whole rack/display of Putumayo's offerings, and over the years (months, really) I have purchased a CD or two from them.  My hubby is always dismayed when I pay full-retail for CDs, because iTunes is just so convenient (especially when you don't love ALL the tracks on a CD) - but for this one, the $14.99 purchase price was well worth it.  I am in love with this CD, and listen to it every chance I get.  In fact, I have used many of the tracks from this CD in the playlist for my "test class" (Yes, I have to prove that I am capable of teaching yoga by giving a test class - it's not unreasonable, but that doesn't make it any less stressful!)
Putumayo is a great company.The music arm of the company has been around since 1993, and they specialize in non-traditional music.  I have several of their CDs - including the original "Yoga" CD (which I don't like as well as this new release).  Their offerings are mostly compilations and I've not been disappointed with any thus far - although I admit I like some more than others.  In preparing for our vacation to Paris last year, I purchased the French Playground for the kids, along with the French Cd for grownups.  Both are great, and put you in the mood for baguettes, cheese, and fine wine.  In perusing their website, I see they have a "Vintage French" CD...guess which is next on my list of purchases! ;)
World Yoga is currently in heavy rotation around our house.  Favorite tracks include artist from Sweden, Uganda, Tibet, and North America.  The tunes range from soothing to upbeat to relaxing, and (key point!) many are in other languages, so I can't sing along, much as I'd like to.
I think if I don't sing along, I'll be sure to get more students in my classes, so this might be the selling point.
Buy World Yoga by Putumayo NOW.  You won't be sorry, whether a yogi, a civilian, or someone who just wants to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment