Monday, October 29, 2012

Slow it down

It's been a busy couple of days...and so I haven't had the chance to blog lately.  Not that I haven't had the desire to!  I bought some new yoga pants and wanted to blog about that, I bought a new book and wanted to blog about that, I took a challenging class that ended with a crazy posture (thanks, Kate!) and wanted to blog about that, I taught a yoga class to colleagues at work and wanted to blog about that...  But it hasn't been until life has forced me to slow it down a bit that I actually had the time/courage/motivation to sit and put my thoughts down on paper computer screen.

Yes, I, like much of the Northeast corridor, have been crippled a bit, thanks to Hurricane Sandy.  Schools are closed, trains aren't running, flooding and mass power-loss are expected.  It's different from a Nor'easter snow storm, because there is no snow to shovel (although I am compelled to report that I heard someone outside with a leaf-blower yesterday evening.  I know you're all with me here: THAT is ridiculous.)  We are collectively being forced to "take a break", but it's an odd break to take, because I'm sure the sympathetic nervous system is still being stressed out.  With every powerful gust of wind threatening to down a tree limb or two, and every news channel urging people to stay indoors (and what about those poor weather reporters being drenched as they report alongside the swelling tides of the Jersey shore?), I'm sure few people are not feeling the stress and blood pressure spike.  As far as your nervous system is concerned, however, it's time to pause, take stock of things, realize that the weather is out of human control, and slow things down.

So, how will you spend this time?  We had the chance to sleep in today (usually early morning is my only time to squeeze in a workout - hitting an early yoga class or scooting out to the gym - but naturally,those places are all closed), and then fixed the children a leisurely breakfast.  I had the kids do their Italian homework while I cleaned up breakfast, then get caught up on cello practice (hey, we're raising a couple of renaissance men!) while I caught up on ironing.  Husband joined in on guitar and it became a regular jam session.  The boys moved on to coloring with markers, I threw in a load of laundry (in case we lose power I'd like a head start on stinky clothes piling up), and Husband busied himself with booking his travel for work next week.

Now that the "hard stuff" is out of the way, and it's not even noon, what will we do with ourselves?  I lit a sage smudge stick and threw it in the fireplace - an unconventional riff on home scent, but I'm saving my candles in case the power does go out.  At least the air will be clear (the traditional purpose of a sage smudge stick is to "clear the air").  We'll likely break out a few board games later on, and maybe get around to finally treating the boys to a screening of "Back to the Future".  A few mugs of tea are in order, maybe a foot massage.  All of those little luxuries that we don't often take.

Why have we created this society where things like this are "luxuries"?  Why do we feel like we aren't successful unless we're "busy" all the time?  More than I'd like to admit, I've lately found myself responding to the question "Hey, how are you?" with an exhausted-sounding "BUSY!"  Do we busy ourselves all the time to feel important?  Are we being busy all the time to keep pace with our peers?  I have to wonder why we have created this life for ourselves where there is always so much to do.
Yes, I'm stressed about the potential damage from this storm.   Yes, I'm worried for my friends, family, and neighbors, and praying for their collective peace and safety.  But I'm also grateful for the storm for forcing me to slow down, take stock of what's important, and get on with it.  So, slow it down, and see if you can't find some bits of enjoyment for yourself in the midst of the storm.

Try a semi-inverted pose to restore your body's essential systems in times of stress.  Lie on the floor with your legs supported on the seat of a chair.  Place your palms on your lower belly feeling it rise and fall with your breath until you feel at rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment