Saturday, September 22, 2012

Come to a comfortable seat...

Where there's homework, there's a struggle.  There's struggle with getting it done/meeting the deadline, the struggle with not knowing what to do, the struggle with fretting over whether it's right.  (Parents of my 8th grade students know these struggles well!)  When you go back to school as an adult, you somehow "forget" what a struggle homework can be when you're the one who's doing it!
Last week, my homework was "Centering" - I needed to write a bodyscan from the sitting bones upwards, reciting phrases (that I came up with) that would help my potential class of students center themselves for practice.  I wrote out on index cards a few phrases that I thought would be effective at helping people "center" themselves - basically preparing themselves mentally and physically for what was about to happen for the next hour on the mat.  When the time came on Wednesday's session to pair up with a classmate and guide them into a centered state, I realized I was woefully under-prepared.  I wrote out something that I thought was great - anyone hearing my words would be sure to feel centered as their yoga practice started, right? - but when I heard the thoughtful, sensitive words of my partner, I realized that I didn't give my "centering" the attention it deserved.  She sounded like a pro - someone who had been teaching for years, using imagery, key phrases, and gentle guiding words to help people settle in on their mats.  When I complimented her, she fully admitted that she "pinched it" (she's English).  I recited my poor attempt, and she was polite, but I knew I left a lot to be desired.  I pledged to give a lot more thought and devotion to this week's homework.
This week, my homework is to create a 3-minute practice (3 minutes, that's IT!) that will center my class, warm them up, and bring them to standing (tadasana).  It is such a hard assignment.  I've already devoted 45 minutes to writing out this sequence and trying it out myself - and I feel like it's not right.  My biggest problem is limiting myself to 3 minutes.  In most of the classes I've taken in the last year, the centering alone takes more than 3 minutes.  How the heck am I supposed to get a beginning yogi relaxed and into a standing posture in 3 minutes?  I tried it out on my husband (NOT a yogi) last night, and it did not go well (to say the least!).
We are supposed to write our practices assuming that everyone in our class is a beginner.  It would be an understatement to say that my husband is a beginner.  On top of that, he has some sort of ankle injury (this foot problem happens on a regular basis, and probably should require medical attention, but that's another blog entry for another day).  I should rally and say "Well, yoga is going to sort these problems out for you - trust me!"  I should be ready and knowledgeable about how to modify the posture so that it helps strengthen these troublesome muscles and joints.  Instead, it devolved because I had written a sequence for someone who was familiar with what I was talking about.  And because it was me, my husband had no problem saying "Ow!  That hurts.  I have no idea what you mean.   I can't do what you're doing!"(I was just sitting on my knees, in a "comfortable seat", btw).   I truly don't think he would have been as vocal in a yoga class with another teacher - he would have "played along".  Either way, it was late, it was me, and he had no problem speaking right up!
That said, ANYone taking a yoga class shouldn't "play along".  If something is uncomfortable, a yogi should feel comfortable enough to speak up and ask for a modification.  And the teacher needs to be knowledgeable and flexible enough to offer up the mods.  Sadly, that's not how it went down last night.  I got frustrated, he got frustrated, and the 3 minutes opened my eyes to exactly how much MORE I have to do.  I don't have to scrap everything - but I do have to be more descriptive and much more considerate.
I guess it's back to the drawing board for me - hopefully, this time it won't take 45 minutes to write out 3 minutes of a sequence.  I'm not ready to throw the towel in.  Yet.

By practicing yoga, impurities dwindle away and the light of wisdom dawns - Patanjali's yoga sutras

No comments:

Post a Comment