Monday, January 16, 2012

Do we need a resolution?

It's been a while...3 1/2 months to be exact.  There's no reason for my departure, other than sheer laziness.  I mean, I didn't exactly have anything profound to say in the last 3 months.  It's not like I have anything profound to say now, but I've only had small ideas on my mind.  I didn't have the time or the inspiration to develop them into "blog-worthy" ideas.  It takes a lot of effort (usually late at night, after the kids are asleep, papers are graded, and the lesson is squared away for the next day), and there are a lot of things I'd rather do with my time.  Things like talk with my husband, watch a little TV, read a magazine, another chapter of my book, shave my legs, polish my nails, catch a few ZZZs myself.  Instead, I found myself folding laundry, vacuuming, utilizing all the "de-cluttering" ideas from said magazines, and trying to keep up with homelife in general.  This left precious little time (and motivation) for blogging.

However, more than a few times since 2012 began, I found a situation pop up that made me think "Hey, that would make a good blog post!".  It seems like so many people in my life are unhappy or worried these days.  People at work are disappointed with their students' efforts or are worn-down from the inconsistent messages we get from administration.  People in town are divided over the school budget and the best way to deal with the projected shortfall and supposed lack-of-rigor in our maths program.   People all over are arguing over presidential politics.  People on Facebook just seem to be bitter and hopeless (I'll shamefully admit to having been snarky once or twice).  There are so many battles that we all seem to be fighting - and when I do mindless household chores (the grown-up version of a "thinking chair"), I inevitably find myself coming up with the realization that so many yogic teachings can help us to better deal with these battles.  Only, I'd end up making a mental note, and get on with my tasks, only to forget it or lose inspiration later. 

Once that calendar makes the flip from December to January (although as far as the universe is concerned, it's just Earth beginning another trip around the sun!), it's only natural for people to start contemplating the potential that the new year holds.  Maybe make a few resolutions; "promises" to yourself to make something better in the year ahead. 

I, myself, never bother to make any resolutions.  It's not that I don't think there's room for improvement in my life.  I have the same 5 (or this year, it seems to be 10) pounds that everyone else has to lose.  I need to be more conscientious about the way I use our resources (money included!).  I really should be more forgiving of my own faults so that I'm better able to forgive the faults of others.  But I have never seen the point of making resolute promises that EVERY single bit of research shows rarely lasts beyond 3 months.  I'm not without the need to improve, but I suppose I am a bit of a defeatest.  Why start something that I know I'm not going to finish?  A year, afterall, is a loooooong 365 days when you have to cut something out (like spending, or drinking, or eating, or gossiping)

With yoga, I find that I have a chance to make not a yearly resolution, but a DAILY resolution.  It's much easier to to live with an intention for a day.  Whenever I'm on my mat, I know I have 20 minutes, 45 minutes, an hour, or however long I give myself to just breathe.  I can forget about the things that are troubling me.  They aren't going anywhere, they'll be right there when I'm done - BUT after an extended time of deep breathing and stretching out my limbs,effectively wringing out even the most deeply-seated stress, I know I'll be better equipped to handle what life throws at me.  At the start of a practice, I can make even the simplist intention, mediate on it for the entire session, and finish up knowing that I can deal with that "daily resolution" for the next 24 hours or until the next time I find myself on the mat.

So yes, there are many things I need to work on in the year ahead.  I have my work cut out for me if I only set out to undo the damage I did in 2011 before I even think about making things better in 2012.  But will making a resolution help?  I don't think it really will.  I think I just need to be more mindful of the world around me - set an intention each day to look at the bigger picture, and notice that I'm merely one brush-stroke in the beautiful painting.  The way my brushstroke mingles and interacts with all the other strokes is what gives the painting it's beauty.  I see something in myself and recognize that I'm a small part of something much, much bigger than me. This is what yoga is about, and this is what I want to share with whoever will listen (or read).  It's not a "resolution", but it is something that gives me purpose as I go forward with writing my blog and sharing my yoga journey with you.  Namaste.

Let your body be graceful on the mat, be gracious in dealing with others, appreciate and honor the grace within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment