Sunday, November 28, 2010

Who owns Yoga?


You do, Bi-otch! (*at least that's what I say, but it turns out not so many people would be pleased with that...)

After a very satisfying Sunday practice (a new studio opened down the road, locals!) I rescued the paper from the lethal barbs in our hedge out front. On the front page (bottom fold, though) of the Times this morning is an article about the Debate over Yoga's "Soul". With great interest, I fixed myself a cuppa Chai and settled down with my newsprint. It seems that there's an Indian-American group that is looking to "Take Back Yoga" and it's ruffling some tail feathers. The misunderstanding, though, is that the group is not looking to convert people to Hinduism. Granted, the campaign does seem to hint at a sense of ownership over yoga, but I think awareness is more their intent. It is not demanding that those who practice yoga become Hindu. Instead, it's intent seems to increase awareness of yoga's connection in the religion's ancient traditions - the same connections yoga has with many religions. There are a lot of assumptions people make when Hinduism is referenced, and this group is looking to clarify that their religion is rooted in some of the same traditions (non-violence, do unto others, respect all beings, etc) as other world religions. As the Times article references, "it's not just some faith of castes, cows, and curry".

Now, here's where I get lost, because I was not a religion major, nor do I claim to know a great deal about many religions. I am a Christian who practices yoga. Do I feel a connection with "the universe" when I practice? Yes. Does this take me away from my Christianity? Not in the least. For me, yoga is a time to reflect inward, to feel gratitude that I have given myself the time to practice and to feel gratitude that my body has given me the flexibility to practice. Sometimes, focusing on this gratitude is all I have to get me through a difficult posture! With this in mind, my time on the mat each week (or day, depending on the time of year!) has a great calming effect on me.

Now, taking this feeling off the mat and into my life is up to me. I try very, very hard to bring the feeling with me. I know a great many people who compete to be the best in the class (yoga isn't even about that for me...but to each his/her own!). I know a great many people who leave a great class, and rush out the door to rush into their cars to rush home and honk at anyone who gets in their way as they barrel on out of there. Kinda missing the point. But I've also learned that I'm not there to judge OR to be judged. I'm there to do my own thing. Whatever it is. Yoga has taught me that acceptance of myself, and hopefully a smidge more tolerance for others. These are very similar principles to my own religion, however, I see my yoga practice as a calming fitness routine rather than a religious routine. It has a lot in common with my religion, but it's separate from my religion. It's just another mode to help me to keep these tenets in mind in my daily life.

Well, there are a bunch of influential people who aren't even happy with that. Deepak Chopra, guru to the stars, has spoken up to say the campaign is misguided and focused on Hindu Nationalism. Really? Perhaps you should take a moment to get off your pedestal and see that the campaign is more about enlightening people to Hinduism...so that westerners don't think it's all about curry and folding yourself into a pretzel. The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary president says that Christians who practice yoga have their souls imperiled. Really? God would have a problem with me feeling thankful that I'm looking after my physical fitness in a gentle way that's mindful of accepting others who are sharing the planet with me? Well, thanks for that enlightenment.

So, Who owns Yoga? When you're on the mat, and you've nailed that shoulder stand (look out, Pose of the Week!), you own it, baby! When you're on the road, and you calmly and generously give way to another car who is incorrectly trying to merge, you still own it, baby! And when you're at work, and once again your boss has forgotten to tell you how much gratitude he/she has for the fact that you are a reliable part of the team, you most definitely own it!

When ego is lost, limit is lost. You become infinite, kind, beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Right on! I had a very similar interpretation of the different views in the article and I also feel that if you are doing it on and off the mat that is the whole point. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete